Treating Work-Related Repetitive Use Injuries

One of the most common causes of workers’ compensation injuries in Marietta is repetitive stress to the muscles or bones. Many jobs require employees to complete the same tasks or actions over and over again, leading to a repetitive use injury such as tendonitis, bursitis, carpal tunnel, joint pain, or back pain. Here is a look at how orthopaedic doctors can treat work-related repetitive use injuries.

At-Home Treatment and Care

When you visit an orthopaedic doctor for treatment of a workers’ compensation injury, he will first recommend conservative, at-home treatment. This treatment can often effectively relieve symptoms like back pain, shoulder pain, neck pain, hip pain, leg pain, joint pain, and sciatic pain. It also provides effective pain management for conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, sciatica, tendonitis, carpal tunnel, and bursitis. Your orthopaedic doctor will suggest that you rest the injured area, apply heat and ice, take pain medication, and elevate the injured area until symptoms improve.

Orthopaedic Treatment

If symptoms do not improve or if they worsen, you orthopaedic doctor will recommend orthopaedic treatment. He may also recommend this treatment in combination with at-home treatment. Common forms of orthopaedic treatment include physical therapy, exercise, massage therapy, acupuncture, spinal adjustments, or spinal decompression therapy for sciatica, sciatic nerve pain, and herniated discs. These treatments should be continued for as long as your doctor believes that they are necessary for pain relief and pain management.

Pain Management and Medication

In order to prevent a recurrence of symptoms, your orthopaedic doctor will also develop a pain management plan for you. This plan is meant to reduce your risk of future workers’ compensation injuries and repetitive stress injury symptoms. You should follow it carefully to protect your orthopaedic health. You pain management plan may include pain medication to be administered by your doctor, or at home. This medication is typically steroid injections, platelet-rich plasma injections, prolotherapy injections, or prescription oral or topical pain medications.